At Tall Oaks Academy several preventative measures are in place to reduce the risk of a fire from occurring.
These include making sure that:
- Fire doors are in good working order.
- Evacuation plans are up to date.
- Regular fire drills are undertaken.
- All means of escape routes are kept clear and without obstructions.
- Fire doors are not wedged open.
- Rubbish and waste is removed from the school building and securely stored in bins that cannot be accessed by intruders.
- There are minimal flammable materials stored within school buildings.
- Storerooms containing flammable materials are made from fire-resistant materials to provide extra protection in the event of a fire.
Our school’s fire drill is reviewed regularly to make sure that everybody knows the steps they should follow when they hear the fire alarm.
Below is a checklist summarising all of the recommendations and requirements of what we do when we undertake a school fire drill.
- Fire drills must be carried out at least once per school term.
- Run each drill at a different time.
- Ask individual members of the school staff to observe and take notes as the fire drill is carried out.
- Test people’s knowledge of fire escape routes and fire alarm locations.
- Make sure that all staff know how to help students evacuate and where the evacuation point is located.
- Test our schools registration procedure.
- Make sure that people know what to report, including unclear alarms, blocked fire escape routes, and to whom they should report.
- Correct any issues discovered during the fire drill.